Thursday, February 4, 2010

Truthful Thursday--New Year's Resolution Update part 2...




Keeping myself accountable again--what better way than to spill in front of the eyes of the tens of readers that I have, right? HA!
First of all, weight loss: I am down 6 from the first of the year, so just about back to where I was before those durned holiday pounds came creeping about, so YAY there =)
Next: DECLUTTERING!! And that brings me to explaining the photos that go with this post! Obviously, this would be my darling daughter all dolled up for her Jr. Prom. Well, Parker's Jr. Prom will be next Spring, but as I'm pretty sure I will not be able to convince him to wear Prom duds that we already own, I needed to chase this piece of pretty out of my house! Enter a local clothing store near where I work. Last year they held an event where you could bring in previously worn Prom attire and they would sell it on consignment. A co-worker did it and had a fabulous experience, so I was all over it this year!
They ask for $5 to take the dress, you fill out a form with the HS that the dress was worn to, how old, designer, original size, any major alterations, etc. They've been displaying some of these dresses all week in the window--lots of pinks and purples, some blues--the 2 ladies gasped when I unzipped the bag on Arielle's lime green dream! (Now, they may have totally been blowing smoke in my ear, but I SO fell for it--HA!) They were excited to see something besides the "usual" shades of dress =) You set the price of the dress and an absolute minimum that you'll take. I had to ask for guidance on that one, I am no expert =) They said usually the rule of thumb is half of what you orginally paid, BUT they both thought of the $400 that her dress retailed for I should ask $275 and go no lower than $225 and they stopped short of guaranteeing that it would fly out of the shop at the $275 price! They take 30% of the final price, leaving 70% for me =)
Honestly, the decluttering and getting that dress on another HS girl is the BEST part of the whole arrangement, but I sure will enjoy some bones in my pocket as a bonus!!!!
One last note about the pics--these were ACTUALLY taken on the day AFTER Prom, I had SO few of JUST her in that dress I made her put it back on so I could get some more, so her hair is all undone--but I still thought it was pretty all curly-like =)

4 comments:

Nic said...

Awww...That dress is Beautiful and of course it's on a Beautiful girl. Has anyone said she looks like you? I think so.

Blissed-Out Grandma said...

Beautiful dress! I can see why the color would be a selling point.

Brooke said...

That is such a pretty dress! Hope you get lots of $$$ for it!

Allyson said...

That is a GREAT dress!!! I'm so glad that color is on its way back. And your daughter totally rocked it!

Congrats on your weight loss thus far. That's pure awesome. Those stupid holiday pounds will get you EVERYTIME...but most people don't ever get the lot of them back off, so they start the NEXT holiday season up 2 or 3 lbs from the last year. You're ahead of the game!

Good luck on the selling the dress. I do have a wedding dress that's collecting dust.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails